- Album name:Bush Animals Don't Like Hunters: The Music Of Sierra Leone # 1 - Field Recordings, 1965-1970
- Short info:Label: PAN Records – PAN 2115
Series: Ethnic Series –
Type: CD, Album, Stereo
Date of released: 01 Sep 2011
Category: Non-Music, Folk, World, & Country
Style: African, Field Recording
- Size:1617 megabytes
- 21617 downloads at 32 mb/s
Tracklist Hide Credits
|1||Kade You Are A Fine Woman||2:35|
|2||Kele Ma Nyi (Fighting Is Not Good)||5:20|
|3||Song To Amuse Warriors||4:25|
|4||Bush Animals Don’t Like Hunters||3:47|
|5||Bolon Bata Song||4:02|
|6||I Am The Paramount Chief||1:45|
|7||Instrumental Nyayaru Piece||4:12|
|9||Praise Song For Chief||3:38|
|10||There Was A Famine||2:38|
|12||The Weather Is Bad, The Rain Is Coming||2:39|
|13||Praise The Chief||3:22|
|14||I Am Going To Escort My Chief On Trek||2:35|
|16||Bundu Society Song||6:08|
|18||The Devil Dancer Who Came To Leicester||2:35|
|19||My Friend I Love You||2:51|
|20||Who Killed Bai Karian?||3:50|
|21||Chief Bali Is Wealthy||2:55|
|22||The Palm Kernels Are Priced At 1/6
Recorded By – C. Marshall
- Design – Jos Hendrix
- Edited By [Digital] – Dik Vaas
- Liner Notes – Ben Caselin, Cootje Van Oven
- Mastered By [Digital], Executive-Producer – Bernard Kleikamp
- Photography By – Herb Clark
- Recorded By – Cootje Van Oven, Herb Clark
NotesRecorded by Herb Clark and Cootje van Oven on location with portable analogue equipment on various locations in Sierra Leone, 1965-1970
Music and lyrics—traditional repertoire
Information concerning the recordings has primarily been taken from Cootje van Oven’s handwritten record cards. Also, her books and articles have been consulted for additional details. The recordings have been arranged chronologically.
The recordings have been made by Herb Clark, except #22 which was made by C. Marshall. Tracks #1 - #8 are mono, the rest are stereo. Recording speed varies.
#1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7 are recorded at 1 7/8 inches per second (ips).
#8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21 are recorded at 7 1/2 ips.
#13, #22 are recorded at 3 3/4 ips.
The liner notes were compiled by PAN Records' editor Ben Caselin, on the basis of Cootje van Oven's original notes and publications
© 2011 PAN Records
• Jansen, Jan. The Griot’s Craft: An Essay on Oral Tradition and Diplomacy. Münster [etc.]: Lit Verlag. .
• Map: Sierra Leone Chiefdom Names & Geo-codes. (http://reliefweb.int/node/1004).
• Oven, Cootje van, G.T. Nurse & M.D.W. Jeffreys. Letters to the Editor. African Music, Vol. 4, No. 2 , pp. 72-79.
• Oven, Cootje van. Music of Sierra Leone. African Arts, Vol. 3, No. 4 , pp. 20-27+71.
• Oven, Cootje van. Op Zoek naar de Muziek van Sierra Leone. Mens en Melodie, , pp. 244-247.
• Oven, Cootje van. The Kondi of Sierra Leone. African Music, Vol. 5, No. 3 (1973/1974), pp. 77-85.
• Oven, Cootje van. Liederen en Instrumenten uit Sierra Leone. Mens en Melodie, , pp. 24-28.
• Oven, Cootje van. Entry “Sierra Leone” in The New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians, edited by S. Sadie. London, , Vol. 17, pp. 302-304.
• Oven, Cootje van. An Introduction to the Music of Sierra Leone. Culemborg, The Netherlands: Technipress. .
• Oven, Cootje van. Supplement to the Introduction to the Music of Sierra Leone. Culemborg, The Netherlands: Technipress. .
• Oven, Cootje van. The Things that Mattered. Paradise, Ca, USA .
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Barcode: 713958211526